1. What Is a Naegleria Fowleri (Brain-Eating) Amoeba?
Discovered in 1965 and indentified in Australia formally named as Naegleria fowleri.
2. Where Are Naegleria Fowleri (Brain-Eating) Amoebas Found?
Naegleria loves very warm water.
3. Where Naegleria Fowleri (Brain-Eating) Amoebas cannot survive
Salt water makes impossible for Naegleria Fowleri to nourish and it can not continue to exist in well treated water.
4. The House of Naegleria Fowleri (Brain-Eating) Amoebas
- Warm lake, ponds, and rock bottom
- Mud puddles
- lukewarm, slow-flowing rivers, particularly with low water levels
- unprocessed swimming pools
- Untreated well water or untreated municipal water
- Hot springs and other geothermal water sources
- Thermally polluted water, such as runoff from power plants
- Soil, including indoor dust
5. Brains are accidental food for them.
Naegleria fowleri normally eats bacteria. But when the amoeba gets into humans, it uses the brain as a food source.
The common food for Naegleria Foleri is bacteria. Once the amoeba penetrated into human body it uses the brain as food source.
6. Can this infection be identified with rapid lab test ?
No, Researchers are working to develop one.
7. How to protect yourself against Naegleria Foleri
- Avoid going underwater
- Use distilled or sterile water.
- Use boiled or filtered water
- Add sufficient amount of chlorine in water.
8. WATER TREATMENT SOLUTIONS
i) HiClean water purification tablets
Chlorine tablets lethal to pathogenic bacteria, viruses, spores, algae, fungi and cysts and are suitable for applications in emergency water disinfection, water tanks and systems.
ii) Aquatabs water purification tablets
The largest selling brand of water purification tablets globally Aquatabs often called water disinfection tablets that is used for water treatments to kill micro- organisms in water to prevent cholera, typhoid, dysentery and other water borne diseases.